Sunday, March 21, 2010

March Happenings

I can't believe March is already almost over. I still feel like Christmas was just yesterday. This post is really random and basically just a collection of things that have happened so far this month.

We bought new tires at Big-O Tires for our Civic. The next morning, we went out to the car and this is what had happened over night.

David and I were furious! Brand new tires and one went flat over night. Unfortunately, this was Sunday morning so we had to wait until Monday morning. The manager claimed that they just didn't seal it right but that everything was fine. Needless to say, I will not be a repeat customer at Big-O Tires. The car drives a LOT smoother now so we are happy about that. The car ride had gotten so shaky with the old tires that on the freeway, your arms would shake and your voice would vibrate while you sang along with the radio.

On the 13th, David and I ran the Rex Lee 5k Run at BYU. This was our 2nd year together to run it and my 3rd year. The weather forecast called for snow that day so we were not exactly looking forward to the run. We didn't run as well as last year but were happy to just have finished it. And luckily it didn't start snowing that day until after the race. And then it snowed all day long.

David thought it would be funny to make the exact same pose he made last year for the Rex Lee Run. How he remembered they way he posed a year ago - I have no idea. I'm telling you - he has a freakish memory about the weirdest things. Gotta love that about him!

I didn't actually plan it this way but I ended up making spinach alfredo tortellini on St. Patrick's Day. I thought it was a great coincidence that our food was green! And I worked on my food photography skills before I took this. Much better if I do say so myself.

I also did a lot of decorating this month!! Now that I started, I seriously can't stop. I had to promise David that I would stop until after our trip to California in April but I am just dying inside! I keep thinking of all these really cool things I want to make for the apartment!!!!

Here is a picture I painted to put above our table. I bought a blank canvas from a craft store and then just used the paint I had left over from the frames above our couch. I actually copied this from a painting I saw on etsy.com. The lady wanted $150 for her painting. Seriously. It was just some lines and circles so I figured I could just do it myself. It didn't come out exactly like hers but it will do. It's better than just a blank, boring wall.

So here is the dining area. I also got that big frame on the right at the craft store (Roberts) for only $15! You can't tell from far away but it is black with hints of red paint showing and it has swirls. All the frames in my living room have swirls so I loved how it tied right in!


Here is our guest bedroom. Hotel Driggs is officially open! For real. I am dying for someone to come stay at our apartment now! The black bulletin board you see was actually another craft I did. I painted a rather hideous gold mirror black and then took out the mirror part. David sawed down an old bulletin board I had and we put it in the frame.


Here is the frame of the bulletin board up close. I really like the way it turned out - and the best part was everything was free! My grandma gave me the frame and I already had the bulletin board and the black paint!


Another shot of the room - I still need to organize that closet. I need a giant filing cabinet in there so I can get rid of the many boxes I have full of old papers, text books, and random things.


The only thing left to do in this room is decorate these two walls. I have a big black mirror and a bunch of black frames that I think I will put up above the bed. I kind of want to get one of those sticker wall quotes for the other wall. Roberts has a bunch for only about $14. We'll see. Oh and that is the memory foam mattress we got! It came in a pretty small box - about 7 inches deep, 3 feet wide, and about 4 feet long. We just pulled the mattress out and it magically expanded into a queen size bed! Pretty cool!

And last, we just celebrated David's brother's (Daniel) birthday yesterday up in Salt Lake. This is a picture of Daniel and Heather's dog - Einstein. He is so cute that I just wanted to sneak a picture of him in. He is such a great little dog and I love his argyle sweater!


So that is our March so far! We have had a really busy month but have had a lot of fun! We are really enjoying March Madness right now, too! Sadly, BYU lost yesterday and my bracket is completely ruined. I had picked Kansas to win the whole thing but they lost yesterday!! Crazy - but it definitely makes this year's March Madness so much more interesting!


4 comments:

Angela said...

We love how you've updated your house. The chandelier looks great, too (too bad you can't update that).

Nana and Papa said...

Nice job Karin. I didn't realize you were so artsy --- although come to think of it, you did a spectacular job fixing up those senior overalls.

It must be in the blood.

Nancy said...

Yummy! Your spinach tortellini looks almost as good as those girl scout cookies in the background!

And I have a vinyl quote I'm not going to use that you can have if you like it: "Walk toward the light and the shadows will fall behind you." I'll mail it if you'd like it....

Loriann said...

Looks like you're keeping yourself busy. I love your homemade artwork and the blue colors in your guest room, as well as the bedspread and pillows!