Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Company Retreat

Last week my company had a retreat down to Arizona for three days. We flew down on the company plane Wednesday during a snow storm. That was a pretty frightening experience. The plane is just a tiny nine seater plane and you couldn't see anything out the windows. All I kept thinking was, "what if we fly right in to a mountain?"! Luckily we have an amazing pilot who knew exactly what he was doing.

The owners of the company recently purchased a new home in Mesa, so we went to stay there. The house was gorgeous! All the details in the house were just beautiful. I especially loved that the house was in the middle of an orange orchard! Each morning we had fresh squeezed orange juice with our breakfast! I never thought Arizona would be so green, but it really was pretty. The weather was amazing, too. It was 70 degrees, sunny and beautiful.




Each day we met as a company for about four hours and then spent the rest of the afternoons doing different activities. The first night we went to the owners' friend's house. He is an amazing pianist and actually performed for the Reflections of Christ church videos. He performed for us and then we watched that hockey movie "Miracle" in his theater room. The next afternoon afternoon we went to downtown Scottsdale to shop and then to a movie - I saw Valentine's Day (not so great. Big cast but I probably won't see it again). The last afternoon we went to a bunch of garage sales/swap meet thing - the owner loves garage sales.

One morning during our meetings, a stray dog came wandering in to the front courtyard area of the house. While sitting there, a thought crossed my mind that I should move my shoes. I had placed them in the garage to dry off because I had gotten them muddy when picking oranges. I just ignored it and stayed in the meeting. Afterward I went outside to check on them and one was missing! I was so upset! It was my Vans that David had just bought me for Christmas! About 15 minutes later, one of my coworkers starting looking around the outside of the house and found my shoe in some bushes! I was SO relieved! (And so was David because now he wouldn't have to buy me a new pair.)

Then we flew home Friday night. I sat in the copilot seat for the flight home. It was so fun to wear the headphones and talk in the little microphone. Our pilot showed me how everything works and told me some great stories about different flights he has had over the years.

All in all it was a great retreat and it got me really excited for the company! They are going to start letting me do more with the company and with analyzing investments and things. I am really excited for this next year!

3 comments:

Carlee said...

Fancy job Karin! That sounds like a fun retreat. I kind of hate arizona, but I've only been there in the sweltering heat of July, so I imagine that right now it would be quite lovely. I'm glad that work is going so well for you (and David) and that real life is treating you well.

Nana and Papa said...

You sound so grown-up Karin. The retreat sounds like a lot of fun. Dad and I are going to visit Grandma and Grandpa C in Arizona City next weekend. It isn't green where they live!

Loriann said...

And I thought I was spoiled with my previous job. I had a fair share of posh get-away meetings, but absolutely nothing like that. It's so great you're enjoying your career!