Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Girl Who Was on Fire - Almost

Sorry for the cheesy title - I couldn't resist. I just finished reading The Hunger Games last night. I started Saturday, read Sunday, and then had about 100 pages left starting Monday. I was SO anxious all through work on Monday. I could not wait to get home and finish! I loved the book - it definitely had me hooked. But I think I want to wait until it is closer to the 3rd book coming out before I start the 2nd one - Catching Fire.

Anyway, so yesterday I almost did become the girl on fire. Just kidding. It wasn't that close a call but the weirdest thing happened to me. I was sitting at a light to turn left on my way to work in the morning. I had just missed the green light and this light takes forever to cycle through. I am sitting there with my front windows down (broken A/C) and suddenly I smell something burning. I look around to see if maybe someone is smoking but don't see anyone.

Then I see it. There is white smoke going up the back of the passenger seat and coming off the headrest! I start panicking trying to see what the smoke was coming from but couldn't find anything. The light turned green so I put all 4 windows down and sped to work. I just kept praying, "Please don't let the car blow up with me inside!" Luckily my work is approximately 2 minutes away once I get through the light.

I pulled over as soon as I got in to the parking lot and starting looking around the back seat. The burning smell was gone and the smoke was gone. I couldn't find anything. I started thinking maybe I was going crazy. I had barely gotten any sleep the night before because I couldn't stop thinking about the Hunger Games.

I called David to see what he had to say and then we figured it out. On the floor of the back seat, behind the passenger seat, I have a huge make-up mirror. One side of the mirror is a big magnifying glass. We decided that the sun must have been hitting the mirror just right and was starting to burn the back seat.

Lo and behold, I went down to the parking garage and searched the back seat and there on the bottom of the passenger seat was a 3 inch mark where the fabric burned off! The sunlight when I was sitting at the stop light was hitting the mirror just right and started to burn the passenger seat! Is that crazy or what? If the stop light was any longer I may have become the girl who was on fire! haha

5 comments:

Rasmussen Family said...

I am starting the series too! I love summer reading...how is your AC broken? what a bummer!

mlauricella said...

that is a totally crazy story and i can only imagine it being on that dumb show, 1000 ways to die! ha! and I LOVE the Hunger Games! LOVE them! can't wait for the third one.

Courtney said...

Karin, that title scared me. I thought maybe there had been like a kitchen fire or something. But then I guess you wouldn't be blogging about it. I LOVE The Hunger Games. I finished the first two in three days and we have been cycling the books around out here. I'm addicted. I feel like it is my new Harry Potter. Miss you!

Angela said...

Scary! But why have a large make-up mirror in your car if you're usually the one driving your car?

Loriann said...

I thought the titls was alluding to one of your latest kitchen capers!
At least you figured out where the smoke was coming from and not spending the next few months wondering if you're losing your mind!