Sunday, August 28, 2011

Summer Vacation Begins

So I am way way way behind on blogging. I am going to try my very best to catch up so these posts may not be too detailed. Way back in May, we took David's sister and brother with us to my grandma and grandpa's cabin in Southern Colorado over Memorial Day weekend. My sister, Angela, her husband, Scott, and their baby, Bradley, came down to. We had a wonderful weekend. David's siblings had never been to Colorado so we took them to Mesa Verde and explored the small town of Mancos. They had also never driven a four wheeler so we drove around the mountain a bit and then enjoyed a nice evening relaxing in the hot tub. We also went to church with my grandparents and enjoyed a Sunday stroll down to the lake. We ended our evenings with a nice game of Mexican Train. Oh and I'll pretend this was a perfect trip and not even mention the water pump breaking on Sunday night and our lack of water for the final 12 hours of the trip. Of course that happened after I repeatedly told David's little sister that I have never ever had a problem with the limited water supply at the cabin. Oops! Besides that, we loved the trip. We cannot thank my grandparents enough for opening their beautiful home to us. I have been to this cabin and mountain my entire life and I am always amazed at the beauty of it. Here are some completely out of order pictures for you to enjoy. (I would love the day Blogspot makes loading pictures easier - anyone else agree on that?)

The beautiful cabin that my grandpa built:

Who doesn't love having a hot tub in their basement? Plus when the water pump broke, we had a nice supply of water to flush the toilets with. Is that TMI? Did you know you could flush a toilet by just dumping a bucket of water in to the bowl?


Yes we drove around like this except I then squeezed in between Kelli and David. We had a blast!

Mancos only has three restaurants. 1. Absolute Bakery and Cafe - I am dying to eat here. It is this super cute, quaint little bakery and the past two times I have come to Mancos it has closed minutes before I arrived. Some day I will eat there. 2. Hamburger Haven - a ghetto hamburger stand that belongs at a fair. 3. Millwood Junction - family restaurant/motorcycle gang bar. Of course since my first option was closed we chose the next best one. And sadly, this is my second time eating here. The highlight of the day was when Kelli asked the waitress what was in the macaroni salad and the waitress responded, "I don't know. It's not that good, though. I wouldn't order it." Great sales skills.

Waiting in line at Mesa Verde:

These are backwards in order but this is the end of the Balcony House tour. They call it the adventurous tour. You get to climb up ladders and crawl through tunnels. It was really fun!



This was our rather enthusiastic tour guide. She talked with her hands a LOT.



To end, here is a nice embarrassing picture of David striking a pose. Thank you for the fun trip everyone!


2 comments:

Loriann said...

Sounds like a lot of fun- except for the ladder/tunnel adventure. I'm getting old and ridiculously anxious, and dealing with heights and enclosed spaces would probably give me a panic attack!

And I must say, David's pose kind of creeps me out a bit. Makes me think of Gollum creeping around or that scary chic from the Ring, crawling out of the TV. Just saying....

mlauricella said...

love the creepy pose. and your pics make mesa verde look cooler than i remember!